Dr Marijke de Boer works as a freelance marine consultant and conducts research on marine mammals using dedicated research protocols at sea. She also works as a Marine Mammal Observer (MMO), carries out acoustic research (PAM) and conducts seabird surveys (ESAS, NERI). Her work not only takes place at sea because she also carries out desk-top consultancy services. She gives advice to NGOs, offshore oil/gas industries, governmental agencies and universities. She carries out data analysis and produces papers on the distribution of marine fauna and conducts literature reviews of marine fauna, often in regions which have historically received little survey coverage. She supervises students and gives advice on methodology and survey platforms.
Marijke de Boer has carried out marine mammal survey and consultancy work for many organisations including Whale and Dolphin Conservation (WDC), Australian Antarctic Division (AAD), the North Sea Foundation (NL), PRO-SEA (NL), The Royal Netherlands Institute for Sea Research (NIOZ), Green Heritage Fund of Suriname, Sea Mammal Research Unit (SCANS2 Project), Marine Observers (Denmark), National Environmental Research Institute of Denmark (NERI), various Universities, e.g. Leiden (NL), Utrecht (NL), Exeter (UK), Plymouth (UK), Halifax (CA) and numerous commercial companies that focus on marine renewable developments and oil exploration.
Since 2006, Marijke has worked as a qualified Marine Mammal Observer onboard geophysical survey vessels during expeditions offshore Aruba, Curacao, Angola, Gabon, Congo, Ghana, Ivorycoast, Namibia, Greenland, Iceland, Labrador, Newfoundland, Faroese Islands, Shetland Islands, Central North Sea, Venezuela, Trinidad, Guyana, French Guiana and Suriname. During these surveys she has also acted as Protected Species Observer (PSO), Marine Mammal & Turtle Observer (MMTO), Marine Mammal & Seabird Observer (MMSO) and Marine Fauna Observer (MFO) and has assisted with Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM) on many occasions.
- Basic Offshore Safety Introduction and Emergency Response Training including HUET Airpocket (BOSIET)
- Cyprus, Panamanian and Dutch Seaman’s book
- Medical Examination (UKOOA)
- Norwegian Medical Examination – Seamen’s Norwegian Maritime Directorate.
- Health certificate for Persons engaged in the Petroleum Activity on the Norwegian Continental Shelf
- Panamanian Medical Examination
- Marine Mammal Observer Short Course- JNCC/MMS/PSO/Gulf of Mexico/IBAMA (Brazil)-(University of Plymouth, UK)
- Passive Acoustic Monitoring Course - (Intelligent Ocean, King’s Lynn UK)
- First Aid (reanimation/hypothermia)
- Driving license
- Open water diver
- Inflatable craft driving licence
- Qualified to operate larger vessels (more than 20 meters long, restricted)
Copyright © 2019 Seven Seas Marine Consultancy | webdesign: www.DivingDuckDesign.nl